February 07, 2010

When life hands you lemons...




candy their little yellow asses!



At least, that's what I'm trying to do. Still have 24+ hours to go before I find out if they candied or not.

Update Feb 11: Well more than 24 hours. I decided to bring them to a boil again on the next day, adding some more sugar, and then repeat it again on the following day (without the additional sugar). After soaking overnight, I pulled them out and set them on a tray to start drip drying. Then, last night, in a discussion about what to do with lemons (triggered by my bringing to a meeting a colander full of lemons for people to take home with them), one of the folks mentioned rolling the wet lemons in sugar, so I came home and did that, too. In checking their progress when I took the photo below, I find that they still have some drying to do. I've got them sitting in my living room, which is cold enough to hibernate tortoises, so I think tonight I will put them in the iguana room, which should speed up the drying process.



Update February 16: Well, instead of the ig room, which has no room at the table due to the 3 gallons of kefir and 1/2 gallon of lacto-fermented lemonade fermenting in there, I slid the tray into a 225F oven to dry out while I candied the sliced peels from the lemons I squeezed to make the aforementioned lemonade. Here's how they turned out:



Yum!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous dorian said...

well! did they?

10:25 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Hey! You can't rush perfection! ::snort:: I posted a more recent photo. And, yes, there are still some seeds in the slices, so get over it.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

What did you use in the liquid to candy them? I just made Lemon and Olive Oil sorbet and seeing this made me think that candied lemon would be perfect on top! Yours look like they came out very well!

7:31 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Kelly, it was just water with a LOT of sugar. You're basically making a simple syrup but with more sugar.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home